Theater to bring ’Crucible’ to AHS Theater stage

Delia Gallardo, Reporter

By Delia Gallardo

Reporter

A play about the pressures of society and how far lies can go will be presented during the holiday season in a thrilling show right here on campus.

“The Crucible” will be coming to the AHS theater Dec. 6-9. Tickets will be available for $3 during pre-sale or $5 at the door with shows starting at 6:30 p.m Dec. 6, 7, and 8. The show on Dec. 9 will be at 2 p.m.

The highly anticipated play will star students Cas Pabst, junior,  as Abigail Williams and Yair Pineda, junior,  as John Proctor, both veterans to the theater productions.

Also, the play features strong secondary leads such as Evan Chism, senior,  playing Reverend Parrish and Hailee McCoy, junior, playing Elizabeth Proctor.

The leading cast shared how they felt about everything and released worries they may have about the show. Most of the crew (i.e. Chelsea Bishop theater director, Pabst, Pineda, Chism, and McCoy) were all anxious in at least one aspect: the language.

“The Crucible” takes place during Puritan times in Salem which makes the language type to be quite older than what students are used to comprehending.

This could cause for misunderstandings of the language making scenes hard to be portrayed correctly or interpreted the way they were meant to be.

“The language is very difficult because it’s not modern, it doesn’t roll off the tongue . . . because it’s very different from how we usually speak,” said Bishop.

The cast is certainly committed to providing the best show possible as shown in their numerous rehearsals leading up to the play and hours put in. Showing this is quite different from past plays.

Past plays have been more on the satirical dark humor side whereas this play is more serious and less comedy focused and more dramatic narrative driven.

The  preparation is different from the previous usual plays. 

“We are jumping right into it and getting it up on its feet and getting it what’s called blocked,” said Bishop.

Blocking is when they break the play into pieces so it is more retainable and easier to learn. However, some things are not as easy as memorization.

For things like getting into such old and driven characters it was going to take more than their usual dedication. The students had to find a way to immerse themselves into their roles.

“I watched the movie and saw what Winona Ryder did and try and put that into a little of myself,” said Pabst. 

While this is certainly one way of taking on a role, Pineda approached the character in a more textbook way. “Research. I did a lot of research and you know I went over the script and looked through all the nit picky things that he does…”