School shooting cancels tennis match

Gabriel Godwin, Reporter

In a week where we have seen rising tension in Syria and bombings of Christian churches,  another startling and unsettling event has occurred.

In San Bernardino at 10:27 a.m .on April 10, there was a shooting reported at an North Park Elementary School. Two adults were killed and two students injured, according to published accounts of the Los Angeles Times. Officials are calling it a murder-suicide related to a domestic situation.

The shooting prompted the cancellation of tennis matches between AHS and Cajon High School.

According to The New York Times, “One of the adults involved in the school shooting was a teacher, according to San Bernardino Unified school district spokeswoman Maria Garcia.. ‘We believe it to be a murder-suicide,’ San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan tweeted: ‘We believe the suspect is down and there’s no further threat.’”
The gunfire had occurred at 10:27 am in a classroom at North Park Elementary School. Also according to school officials said the shooting was “isolated to the campus.”

North Park students were evacuated to Cal State Bernardino’s physical education building where they were safe and had access to the bathrooms and water, said the university’s spokesman, Joe Gutierrez. The parents of the children were directed to go to Cajon High School, where officials were verifying their identities before sending them to Cal State,  according to the New York Times.
The elementary school has more than 500 mostly Latino and low-income students.
The students were huddled on a field at a corner of the campus on the streets North Park Boulevard and H street, together with teachers and guarded by officers as well as school officials.