Whipping across finish lines

Giuseppe Vitulli, Sports Editor

Baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, wrestling, golf and water polo are just some of the many sports that Arlington has to offer to its student-athletes, but there are some off-campus sports that do not get nearly as much attention.

Motocross is one of those sports and one Arlington Lion has devoted his life to it. Sophomore  Zachary Roessler.

Roessler first began to race when he was just 10 years old and was taught how to race by his father John Roessler and trainer Scott Gilbert. 

“I started racing because I was invited to watch my friend race one day and I was inspired to pursue the sport. I was in baseball at the time and I wanted to quit to do Motocross,” said Roessler.

Roessler races in the District 37, Big 6 Series. His bike is a KX 250F and his bike number is X82. The classes Roessler races in are 250 beginner and 250 novice. 

Racing is a very difficult and strenuous sport both physically and mentally, and Roessler goes to great lengths to make sure he is in peak condition for every race. 

“The way I prepare for a race is I practice at least once a week on my bike and then I go to the gym three days per week to stay fit and get stronger,” Roessler said. “I often race once a month.”

The mental side of the sport is also a difficult skill to understand and perfect. 

“It takes a lot of confidence to become a Motocross racer because you have to be ready for the worst. You have to have the right gear, the right bike and you have to stay fit,” he said.

Roessler was given the nickname “The Governor” by his racing contemporaries because “when I was little I would walk to any camp, not knowing who those people were and start a conversation with them.”

Over the course of his racing career, Roessler has had many great memories, one of them is racing in the Ultimate Amateur Series.

“I was first in points on that day and I came in first in that race and won the championship,” Roessler said.

Inevitably, with the triumphs and successes, there will always be setbacks. 

“I got run over first turn off the start. The way it happened was, I was clipped by another rider and fell. Before I could get up, a rider ran over my back.”

Fortunately, Roessler escaped the incident with bruising and a minor concussion.

Roessler said that his biggest inspiration is “my parents, sister, my trainer Scott Gilbert, my weight trainer Aaron Cooksey, and all my friends and family.”

Zac Roessler’s next race will be held on April 6 in Twentynine Palms.