Fall Sports Briefly Experience CIF, But Coaches Stay Hopeful

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls' Varsity Volleyball Team

Girls' Varsity Volleyball Team

Courtesy of Brittney Harvey

Girls' Varsity Volleyball Team

Courtesy of Brittney Harvey

Courtesy of Brittney Harvey

Girls' Varsity Volleyball Team

Arizza Deriquito, Photography Editor

Arlington’s fall sports season concluded with accomplished CIF performances by the boys’ water polo and the girls’ volleyball teams.

“It was a very good learning lesson for a lot of the boys,” Christopher Ward, water polo coach, said as he reflected on the season. “We went out on a good strong note.”

The boys’ water polo team ended its season with an overall record of 13-12 and a conference record of 1-4.

The boys fought hard against Alta Loma High School in their CIF first round game, but were ultimately beat by a 12-10 score.

“The biggest thing that we did was just speaking with a lot of them about the importance of putting themselves in positions to be successful, regardless in whether or not they are successful,” Ward explained, “It is important that they are at least trying.”

Ward praised Jack McMahon, sophomore, John Ngo, junior, and Jonathan Castro, senior, for their improvement throughout the season.

But the key player of the team was Matthew Olsen, junior.

“Our offense is built around our center Matthew Olsen, who is our standout player for the year,” said Ward.

According to Ward, Olsen had major contributions as captain of the team, scoring 160 goals.

“Since I’m the one with the most experience, I just try to share that with everyone else,” said Olsen.

According to Olsen, he will continue playing water polo in the off season as a club sport, waiting in anticipation for next fall.

“I definitely think by next year

we should be able to put in a really positive performance in CIF, hopefully looking for a deep run in the playoffs,” said Ward.

For Brittney Harvey, volleyball coach, the season was a “definite improvement from last year.”

“It was cool to be able to

go from no wins to a CIF playoff,” says Harvey.

The girls had an overall record of 5-17 and a conference record of 3-4.

The girls managed to take down Vista Del Lago in their CIF wild card match with a hard fought 3-2 score, but were unable to beat San Dimas High School in the CIF first round.

“Overall they’ve improved. They’ve definitely come together as a team, and they’ve gotten more competitive,” said Harvey

“They definitely were dedicated to the idea of making it to CIF this year,” Harvey explained, “I think that was really the driving force.”

Harvey mentioned that she prepares the team by focusing on their own areas of improvement, rather than their opponents.

“Our team is pretty close,” said Harvey, “they got closer as the season progressed.”

Some of the key players of the varsity team were Iman Abuhijleh, freshman, Autumn Gordon, sophomore,   Jaqueline Lopez, junior, and Leilani Cooper, senior.

“We worked harder, “ said Abuhijleh, “I knew they wanted to get better so I’m so proud of [our performance] this year.”

“Making it to CIF was one thing,” said Harvey, “but now that we’ve been there we can raise the level of expectation.”