Lions find silver lining in loss

Naida Harewood, SITM Editor

Despite the varsity boys giving it their all, they fell short 16-24 during Oct. 14 homecoming game against North High School. “Though the guys worked extremely hard and gave a great effort week in and week out, the team as a whole is a little disappointed with the outcome of the season,” said Head Coach, Richard Lunsford.

Despite the loss “watching my brothers give it their all” was the highlight of the game said senior, Zachary Barrett, wide receiver.

However, before going into the game the team’s mindset was “to win and break our losing streak.” said senior linebacker and tight end, Sorryn Khneiser.

For some players they did have their own personal highlights.

“My personal highlight was hitting the ball out of number 15’s hands, but as a team our highlight was coming back and tying it up and stopping them on defense” said junior cornerback David Lara.

Lara’s mindset on the field was to “leave it all out on the field and try to pull out the W for my teammates and the school in general for supporting us so much.”

Other players also had their own achievements during the game.

“My highlight of the game was getting the touchdown in the 4th quarter.” said junior running back Jamon McGlory.

McGlory scored this touchdown and had the team within a one point range of beating the Huskies.

Arlington fell short at the start, but the team got back on its feet and tied it up.

“After halftime the team scored within the first two drives which tied the game up,” said sophomore quarterback Carter Alvarado.

The guys went on the field and definitely gave it their all despite the score.

“We are absolutely more than capable of defeating these recent teams we have faced. We forgot what it was like to win and it’s holding us down. It’s completely heart wrenching losing to teams you know you’re way better than.” said junior kicker and punter Jihad Abuhijleh.

The team is very determined and capable to pull out the next few wins.

The guys are expected to go onto the field and try to the best of their ability and not give up.

“My favorite thing about coaching football is seeing the guys learn, mature, and grow into responsible young men,” said Lunsford.

During season the boys have had their ups and downs.

“Our biggest highlight thus far has to be our win over La Sierra in a game where we scored three touchdowns in 19 seconds,” said Lunsford regarding the Sep.1, 2016 game.

Junior quarterback, Cameron Abts scored two touchdowns,but the Lions were unable to make the necessary defensive adjustments in the third and fourth quarters.

Arlington Football won Temescal Canyon, 21-14 on Friday, September 9, 2016.

McGlory scored three touchdowns with a 41-12 triumph over La Sierra in a non league game at Norte Vista on Sep.1.

Ultimately the lost of the homecoming game doesn’t mean the boys will be giving up any time soon.

The boys still have three more games coming up.

Senior night will be on Oct. 28 and be against Valley View High School.

To end the season the boys will then be playing against Rancho Verde on Nov. 4.