Chemistry teacher radiates passion to students

Harrison
Harrison

Harrison

Juan Ochoa

Juan Ochoa

Harrison

Amanda Landeverde, Humans of Arlington Editor

Harrison

Photo by Juan Ochoa

Chemistry teacher Reid Harrison

Finding a passionate teacher is always a gift, which is why any student would appreciate the passion in Reid Harrison, this issue’s Teacher of the Month.
Harrison has been teaching for three years, but came to AHS this school year and teaches AP Environmental Science and chemistry. He has also taught biology in the past.
“I’m very pleased he has joined our staff,” said friend and biology teacher Brian Watkins. “We’re all delighted to have him as part of our faculty here. He brings a lot of energy and genuine concern for his students, and he has the best facial hair!”
Harrison grew up in Beaverton, Oregon, where he learned to appreciate the beauty of the outdoors and how it’s largely under appreciated by modern society.
He now relishes his time outdoors through hiking, camping and rock climbing with his family, which elicits memories from his early life in Oregon.
He graduated from the University of Colorado, Boulder and, after working as a research lab technician, moved to California in 2013. He recently had a baby with his fiancé and is excited about continuing life in California with his new family.
Harrison never intended to teach, but throughout his high school experience he was influenced by the teachers he looked up to and decided that he wanted to impact others the way he was impacted through his experiences as a student.
“A lot of things that were happening in my life during high school made me look to teachers,” Harrison said. “They were people that gave me hope, advice, wisdom, and the working knowledge of different subjects, but I feel like all of that was inferior to the things that they were giving me in terms of general life philosophy.”
He views teaching as an extremely important profession because of the effect it has on thousands of teenagers that go through the school system every year. He believes that whatever he has to offer in terms of his personality, his views on life or his knowledge in science are all things that can impact his students to make them better.
“Everyone has a plethora of individuals that influence them and I feel that I would be missing out on being a part of my student’s lives if I didn’t have students,” said Harrison.
He wants his students to know that his classroom is a safe place where they can express their opinions and know they’ll be heard.
“Mr. Harrison is such an amazing and kind person. He’s one of the first teachers that I can actually relate with. He cares very much about his students. I know I can go up to him for advice and I know that even after I’m done with high school we’ll still keep in touch,” said senior Dilan Cortez. “I look up to him as a brother and a role model.”
“Mr. Harrison is cool and I really like him,” said senior Briana Greeley. “He makes you understand what he’s talking about when he teaches and explains everything in a way that’s easy to understand.”
He supports those who are underrepresented, especially because of his knowledge of those who were overlooked in the field of science and wants to ensure that doesn’t happen in his classroom.
Harrison is grateful to be a part of the Arlington community and his students are grateful to have such a positive influence.