Once a lion always a lion

Fernanda Madrigal, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After working and becoming part of the Lion family for the past five years, it is time to move on for Principal Antonio Garcia. After Oct. 11, Garcia will call Riverside County Office of Education his new professional home. “Now I’m going to be a consulting principal for the Riverside County Office of Education where I will be working with administrative teams and principals across the county of Riverside, doing consulting mentoring and training,” said Garcia. Since he began here, Garcia looked forward to working at AHS. “The former principal, Dr. David Hansen, called me and encouraged me to apply. It sounded like a really good opportunity and it sounded like a great  school to come and work at and he was right,” said Garcia. Fellow staff members are sorry to see him go. “I’m happy for him but he’s got an opportunity that I know he’s excited about, but we are definitely going to miss him,” said theater teacher Merica Frost. Senior Garrett Parker,  shared his admiration towards Garcia when he heard the news about  him leaving. “Garcia recognizes the potential in all students and that is a quality one  can respect,” said    Parker. Garcia’s days are  approaching an end since his last day will be Oct. 11. Students and teachers have been remembering certain events that will never be forgotten.   “He did kiss a pig. That was fun,” said Data Coach Susan Miller as she laughed. Garcia shares so many memories with people at AHS that he was not able to just pick one. “My best memory I have so many. Wow! Where to begin? All I can say is I have many great memories from Arlington that I will take with me. This has been probably one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. I’ve met some amazing people from staff to students to parents and the support that I have received from all the different people is something that I really appreciate so I will definitely miss the people,” said Garcia. Many students will truly miss a one-of-a-kind principal like Garcia. Student’s emotions about him leaving were shared, and students realize he’ll always be a part of AHS. “You can’t easily replace the bond Garcia had with his students. I’m going to miss him, as the rest of the  school will,” said senior Tiana Hall. As Garcia thinks about his time here,  he said he would want his legacy to be of “a man who cared.”