Time to color your midterm ballot in blue

Gabriel Godwin, Sports Editor

If you’re like me then you’ve been wanting a change lately in the way that our country is run. Lucky for us the midterm elections are being held on Nov. 6, but  why should you care ?

For starters the election will contest seats in the House and whether the majority is Democrat or Republican and the same with the Senate.

And if you hate The Donald just as much as I do, then you  want to  vote for Democrats in the midterm elections. 

By doing so you will be flipping the House and or Senate and the majority Democrats will be able to pass more laws that will benefit the people whom need it most.

For example, programs such as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) are in the hands of the people who are against immigration. 

If we had a Democratic majority in charge of the Senate and or  the House then  maybe DACA can be pushed further and be ratified into a real law. 

This will help the many students who always have to look over their shoulders and live in fear hoping that DACA doesn’t get thrown aside by Trump or the Republican-controlled Congress.

I do, however, understand that you may not be a Democrat or liberal. You could be a conservative Republican or just a Republican in general, but nethertheless you should still vote. 

The right to vote is a very important right and every vote counts. 

If you’re going to vote, however, then you should at least know how Democrats could turn the Senate to majority Democrat.

According to the website 270townin.com,  there are 35 seats up in 2018, 26 of which are held by Democrats. That party will need to gain 2 seats to take control.

You can see the Senate Democrats are very close to taking control of the Senate, and I believe that we must. I’m sorry to say it, but recently it seems as if the Republican Party has lost  its desire to help people by being too afraid to pass laws that truly matter instead of only trying to gratify the target audience that will vote them back in office.

Once again I reiterate that whether you are Democrat or you are Republican, you should still vote if you are able to. 

Still, I also believe that it’s time you reconsider your political beliefs and what your side on the political spectrum is.

I cannot emphasize just how much it matters to vote Democratic in the upcoming elections. 

The Carbon Tax Bill is just one example of a bill that didn’t pass Congress that deals with taxing the usage of all carbon-based fuel and carbon-based products like gas and factories in order to get people to stop producing so much carbon, which ruins our atmosphere while at the same time improving the economy. 

Another bill that wasn’t passed was the Age 21 Restriction Gun Bill which advocates all states to change the age limit to own a gun from 18 to 21 in order to get guns out of more people’s hands. 

This will help with the current gun issue that we are facing, and this can only be fixed with the help of a majority Democratic Congress, so go vote!

Another bill that wasn’t passed thanks to the Republican-controlled Congress was the Sexual Harassment Resolution Bill.

This bill requires counties and cities to assist victims of sexual harassment by helping to pay for therapy,  according to the Northwest Public Broadcasting’s web page.

The final bill I want to mention that is less controversial yet still affects many people that wasn’t ratified was the Smoking Age to 21 Bill.

This one seems like it should’ve been passed already but believe it or not people can buy and smoke cigarettes before they are able to order a glass of Napa Valley white wine with their dinner at Olive Garden.

These are just four of the important bills that were not passed under the Republican Congress. Four bills that matter.

So what are you going to do about it? 

If you are able to vote, go vote. If you know someone who can vote, go tell them to vote. 

If you have friends who say they don’t care about politics, then inform them that their complacency got us in this mess in the first place and then tell them to vote. 

If you want to see a change in the way our country is run, then vote. If you are tired of the many acts of gun violence in this country and want stricter gun law, then go and vote. If you’re tired of bills that matter being pushed aside, then go and vote.

However if you are even going to vote in general, then vote for change. Vote DEMOCRATIC.