Trump-Putin relationship is cause for concern

Adam Navarro, Opinions Editor

Since the inauguration of our president, Donald J. Trump, much controversy has surrounded his administration. As time has passed on, it has become increasingly apparent that many Trump associates have ties with the Russian government.

This news was initially made public by the dni.gov website starting in 2016. The Director of National Intelligence, or DNI, states on its website that its mission is to deliver insightful intelligence. The current DNI is Dan Coats.

This realization has come about through testimonies and investigations into the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Americans should not sit idly by as our national security is being threatened; there is very obviously a divide within our nation´s political infrastructure.

What many people seem to not care about as much as they should, is the fact that it has been proven that Russia interfered with the 2016 U.S. presidential election through direct commands from Russian president Vladimir Putin. The implications of this should be frightening, as our very democracy is at stake.

This Russian investigation can be traced back as far as October 2016, when the Department of Homeland Security initially reported that they were confident Russia interfered in the election.

In January 2017, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence revealed on its website that Putin personally ordered an ¨influence campaign,” which interfered with Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s campaign.  This was done to create a lack of trust in the U.S. voting process for Americans.

According to a July 26, 2018 Washington Post article by writer Ellen Nakashima, the Russian military intelligence service hacked personal emails belonging to prominent Democrats such as Clinton’s campaign chairman John Podesta. Adding insult to injury, their contents were even forwarded to WikiLeaks.

In a Feb. 13, 2018 testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, the heads of the top six American intelligence agencies unanimously agreed that Russia had interfered in the election. Despite this crucial information, coming from America’s own government, Trump does not believe Russia interfered in the election.

According to CNN, sources close to Trump say that his denial is due to his belief that he won solely because of his merits.

Our own president is choosing the word of another country over our country’s government. This is unacceptable.

These events led to the July 13, 2018 indictments of 12 Russian military intelligence agents by Special Counsel Robert Mueller. According to a July 14, 2018 report by CNN, the U.S. Justice Department announced that the agents had been indicted for repeated efforts to hack Democrats’ emails.

The publicity of this ongoing investigation has even led to many European Union nations placing sanctions on Russia, which has been accused by several states of condoning terrorism and corruption.

While Trump has associated himself with several felons, like campaign manager Paul Manafort and personal lawyer Michael Cohen, we must also be objective in our analysis. The president’s administration has also imposed sanctions against high-ranking Russian officials.

As reported by New York Times writer Gardiner Harris, 17 of Russia’s richest industrialists were penalized by the new sanctions.

However, we must not ignore how suspicious this all seems. When we, on such a consistent basis, witness Trump defending Putin, we should feel disgust. A man who ordered a cyber attack on our nation and denies all accusations of such should not be seen as our friend.