He said she said Breakfast Club

Korey Pate, Editor-in-Chief

Despite being not only one of the most legendary movies in cinematic history, but my personal favorite movie as well, I do have several issues with the end of “The Breakfast Club.”
Just about everybody in the world can probably identify the image just before the credits roll up: Judd Nelson walking across the football field, throwing his fist up in the air as “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” by Simple Minds begins playing.
What some might not remember however, is how Judd Nelson’s character, the “criminal,” technically ends up with the “princess.”
First of all, he spent a majority of the movie making fun of her, calling her inappropriate names and overall harassing her in a disgusting manner.
If someone spent an entire Saturday making fun of you, would you fall for them and give them your most prized piece of jewelry?
The answer is no, probably not.
The entire premise of his character was to defy the typical teen stereotype. And what is one of the most common teen stereotypes you might ask? Crushing on the popular kids.
But no, the writers stuck him right in there, like a puzzle piece covered in dust.
Instead of ending up crushing on her, the writers could have had his character become slightly softer, or made her more of a rebel.
Another unlikely relationship that brought us to a close is the “basket case” ending up with the “athlete.”
He however, did not even notice her until she changed her appearance. Was this really necessary? No, not really.
Perhaps, the ending could have been more realistic.
None of them really should have started a relationship. They met each other that day. No true love is really found in a day.
They could have been seen making contact in the hallway.
Imagine how much easier it would have been to relate to the movie knowing that every character became un unlikely group of best friends.
That would have put an amazing message out to viewers, that friends don’t all need to be part of the same clique.
Teens already feel pressured enough to be involved in relationships.
Also, the only kid that didn’t get into a relationship was the brainy kid. This seems to send the message that nerds can’t fall in love. Is that really right to be sending to teenagers trying to finish high school?
All that was really needed was the feeling of content knowing that these angsty teens became closer through their differences.
But writers took it an extra step farther by adding relationships and conforming to the typical teen stereotype of relationships.
However, there is one big thing that we can all be thankful for.
Seeing Judd Nelson throw his hand up is the last thing viewers ever see, which fills even modern viewers with a sense of content. This was thankfully not ruined with yet another stream of Hollywood’s terrible sequels.