NHS inducts new members

Gustavo Rios, News Editor

By Gustavo Rios

News Editor

PHOTO BY ANNICA ORTEGA
New NHS members from left, are Kyle Suk, sophomore; Benjamin Noriega, senior; Diego Mendoza, junior; Naida Harewood, senior; Jennifer Gonzalez, senior.

For many students, the clubs and student organizations on campus can serve as a great way to contribute to the school and its students. For others, these clubs are where students embrace and display their various talents.

The same could be said for the students recently inducted into the National Honor Society in the 2017-2018 school year. Congratulations to Benjamin Noriega, senior; Jennifer Gonzalez, senior; Naida Harewood, senior; Diego Mendoza, junior; and Kyle Suk, sophomore.

The selection process of these new members consists of various steps to ensure new NHS members will be able to benefit not only as individuals, but as a group as well, with the selection for next year’s inductees opening up for applications in the fall of the 2018-2019 school year.

According to NHS advisor Greg Cabrera, applicants must have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA, serve a minimum of 35 hours of community service plus hold leadership positions. All applicants are then reviewed by a faculty council which  decides on whether or not the applicant should be nominated as a potential member.

These nominated students are then given a final review, and are declared official members based on that review.

“These inductees and future members can truly benefit as NHS members graduate with the NHS seal on their diploma, are able to let their potential colleges see that they are part of a prestigious organization and are able to help those in need of academic support,” said Cabrera.

Students from all grade levels are invited to apply for National Honor Society.

“I feel as though we have plenty of qualified students who would be eligible for National Honor Society; I just don’t know why they’re not applying,” said Cabrera.