Harris recognized for excellence

Gustavo Rios, News Editor

The Rivers and Land Conservancy awarded teacher Sheri Harris with the Environmental Educator Excellence Award for her efforts in helping others learn more about the environment.

Harris has been teaching both Chemistry and APES, Advanced Placement Environmental Science, since 1999. She has taught at both Arlington and Poly high school. She has also been the head coach of the Arlington  Envirothon team since 2000.

Teacher Sheri Harris was awarded the Environmental Educator of the Year award.

“I was stunned, I really was,” said Harris. “I was sitting on a bus coming from the AP Reading in Ohio, and I get a call from our school board vice president, Patricia Lock-Dawson. She had told me about me receiving the award and said she wanted to be the first to congratulate me. It was so out of the blue.”

Students that participated in Envirothon seem to agree that Harris deserves the award.

“She always made sure to take time for us and give us the best resources to prepare and study,” said Benjamin Noriega, a member on past year’s Envirothon team. “She dedicated herself to helping us for the competition.”

As the recipient of the Environmental Educator of the Year title, she will receive $10,000 and an all-expense paid trip to the National Science Teachers Association Conference.

She and other recipients of other environmental awards were honored at the 4th Annual Pride of Place and Great Outdoors Fundraising Gala Oct. 12 at Crestmore Manor. 

She says that she feels extremely honored to not only receive the award, but to also have the opportunity to continue teaching about the environment.

“People go  ‘Aren’t you retiring?’, but there’s a old saying that says if you love your job and what you do, then why would you ever want to retire?” said Harris.  “I love working with teenagers. I get to help guide them to where they want to go and what they want to do.”