Students celebrate ‘Roaring around the world’

Jennifer Gonzalez, Features Editor

Spirit Week is not about dressing up in your wackiest attire. It is the school coming to together as one to show school spirit.

“Spirit Week is all about the school coming together to support what we do and who we are,” said Brent Brubaker, ASB director.

That was in evidence the evening of Oct. 14 when the homecoming king and queen were announced.

Winning spots on the homecoming court were: Mariah Jones, queen; Adan Tenorio, king; Abrile Cabrera-Carranza, junior princess; Adrian Gomez, junior prince; Anessa Picon, sophomore princess; Joshua Fuentes, sophomore prince; Kaylee Cardey, freshman princess; and Tyler Jones, freshman prince.

The winner’s feelings varied from excitement to suprise.

“I felt loved because a lot of people do care about me and they wanted me to be happy,” said Mariah Jones, queen.

“I felt good because I was with my mother and she could see I can do anything I put my mind to,” said Adan Tenorio, king.

“. . . It was a good feeling. I was excited and happy . . .” said Adrian Gomez, junior prince.

“It was mind-blowing knowing I won something like that, ” said Abrile Cabrera-Carranza, junior princess.

Joshua Fuentes, sophomore prince, said “It was cool, fun, and unexpected.”

“It was unexpected because I had such hard competition,” said Anessa Picon, sophomore princess.

“I think it was a great experience, and it is a memory I will have forever,” said Kaylee Cardey, freshman princess.

“It was very exciting,” said Tyler Jones, freshman prince.

Also on the court for king were seniors Zack Barrett, William Guiets, Moises Conrado and Reuben Tapia.

Running for queen were Jacquelyn Castellanos, Sabrina Riggs, Lizbeth Gaytan, and Sarah Greenwood.

Rounding out the junior nominees were Tiffany Duong, Leandra Quezada, Morgan Holt and  Naida Harewood.

Also nominated for junior prince were Jacob Olsen, Vincent Miller and Noah Jackson.

Sophomore princess candidates also included Aileen Bell, Jasel Mena and Rhiannon Holland.

Alec Garcia, Mark Girgis and Kerry Collins rounded out the sophomore class prince category.

Last but not least, freshman princess candidates were Alexis Mascio, Estrella Nava and Kyarlah Bailon.

Logan Coakley, Jonathan Johnson and Jose Garcia were the frosh prince nominees.

The themes of Spirit Weeks are made by student rally coordinators in ASB.

“My favorite thing about spirit weeks would probably be seeing all of the hard work coming alive through the actives and dress up days leading up to the rally!” said Allie Kronick, director of assemblies.

The homecoming pep rally involved performances from the All Male Hip Hop Team, Arlington Golden Girls Dance Team, Chamber Singers, Golden Pride Band and Cheer.

The themes for Spirit Weeks are always based on the theme of the upcoming pep rally.

The theme for Homecoming 2016 was “Roaring Around the World.”

Each day had a different theme; Class Color Day, Tacky Tourist Day, High Fashion Day, Jet Lag Day, and last but not least Lion Pride Day!

“My favorite part about Spirit Week is lazy day. I can just wake up and not have to change into regular clothes,” said David Pendleton, senior.

“I like lazy day because I can just get up and go to school,” said Mark Girgis, sophomore.

During Spirit Week,  there are lunch time activities.The activities include: games, music, competitions and sometimes prizes to those who show a lot of spirit.

“My favorite thing about Spirit Week is the whole school joins together to participate in the activities” said Noah Jackson, junior.

“My favorite thing about Spirit Week is that you get to  enjoy it with your friends.” said Abrile Cabrera-Carranza, junior.