Scholarly lions recognized during rally

Bryan Jordan, Opinions Editor

The Academic Rally is a time to recognize those students that cried over the AP exams or crammed until 3 a.m. and still got to class on time.
At the Academic Rally on May 12, right after first period, a total of 630 students were either given Academic Honors/ Top 12, Most Improved, Athletic Clubs, Perfect Attendance, or a Scholar Athlete award.
More than 130 students participated in ASB’s fantastic games and competed to win hand-crafted prizes.
Special guest “Prismatic Magic” performed a stunning laser light show, accompanied by music.
Prismatic Magic is a school assembly program provider and high-tech laser show company all in one. With a combination of science, technology, art and music, Prismatic Magic made the rally.
“We were looking for something that was different as a reward for our students that deserved recognition,” said Director of Activities Jennifer Pfeffer.
Prizes for students and students that participated in the games ranged from $20 to $200.
For students with perfect attendance, they received a “Perfect Attendance” pin and a certificate.
Assistant Principal of Attendance Anne Marie Montegomery, worked extremely hard to get gift cards to Best Buy and Chipotle, movie tickets, year books, letterman jackets, and even a class ring.
Each winner was chosen using “random. org” to randomize who won the prize.
The Top 12 students, received a pin with a medal attached, that says “Top Academic Honor Roll 2015-16.”
The “Most Improved” students received a pin that says “Most Improved,” along with a certificate. These students were selected as “Most Improved” by their teachers. Teachers got to choose whoever they felt deserved the award.

For the participants in the games, they received either a plastic trophy, medals or buttons.
“I feel like we did an exceptional job in getting more students involved and to participate. We recognized 600 students in 40 minutes,” said Pfeffer.
Senior and Director of Academic Ceremonies Emeli Navarro was the heart and soul of this year’s rally.
“I think it was really good. We had a bunch of kids come in and play games, and they got some little trophies and pins,” she said.
Navarro felt the crumbling pressure, but remained strong to her goal.
“It was incredibly stressful being in charge of the whole rally. I remember hearing a lot of negative comments about last year’s rally, so I made it my absolute goal to make it as fun for everyone as possible,” said Navarro.
“The best part of the rally was the laser light show. It was simply amazing. I’m so glad ASB went to such lengths to make this rally rememberable,” said senior Enrique Moreno.