Oldies make a comeback among students

Tatiana Barrios, Sports Editor

Major differences and changes are clearly visible not only in our new generation as a whole, but also in smaller and much more popular aspects such as music. Among the majority of millenials that surround us every day still lie some “old souls.”

So what are these changes that make music “modern” and what makes them so different from the musical characteristics of the past?

Mariana Chavez, sophomore, said, “Some new music just remakes old music’s beats,” a valid similarity between past and new music rather than a change.

However, some people such as senior Michael Rojas believe that new music should be different.

“New music shouldn’t try to replicate the past. If it’s new, they should continue to try new things,” said Rojas.

Chavez goes on to give a deeper insight on the lyrical side of music. She feels as though the lyrics are most important in making music.

“The words in old music can relate to real life actions, not like the music now,” said Chavez.

There is agreement among some students that the lyrics of today have less meaning than those of the past, although some don’t find that much of a problem.  

“Music nowadays is a lot of the same thing; back then it was a different. The lyrics were different and so were the beats,” said senior Joseph Awrey.

With artists such as Drake, Kendrick Lamar, and Kodak Black being some of his favorites, their “unique” beats and “fun” lyrics are what make new music enjoyable for Awrey.

“Today’s music is pretty good if you find the right artists… it hypes me up,” he adds.

In new music, students recognize that the subject of drugs, alcohol, girls, and confusing lyrics are huge trends, but many seem to think that a “modern” or “catchy” beat makes it okay. A similar pattern was also seen in older music, though it was not heard of as much as it is now.

Although some disagree with the messages of today’s music, they are still open-minded about it.

Students such as junior Nicole Castro stick to modern music while also making exceptions to the music of the past.

“It depends on the artist. Some new music has completely turned into trash without any true message and it doesn’t evoke any emotion yet some music truly speaks to you,” said Castro .

Others stand their ground and avoid the new generation’s music such as senior Anthony Fuentes.

“Old music is good and new music is trash,” said Fuentes.

Junior Daniela De La Garza provides another point away from music’s lyrical meaning.

“The beat (today) is different from old music. It’s more upbeat,” said De La Garza. She also suggests that overtime, “trap music” has clearly claimed its dominance over rock and hip hop in the music industry.

This, however, is not the only difference present in music then and now. Students believe most of the differences lie in the lyrics and meaning of songs.

It’s up to the people to decide what they enjoy. As Chavez said, it’s good to reminisce and keep the old souls alive but  if the new generation chooses to continue its path in music, there’s really nothing that will stop its progression.