Students display unique forms of art

Liana Ariza, Reporter

To master the skill of art alone is hard. Not everyone is as skilled to draw or paint so perfectly.

Now imagine doing a masterpiece with only spray paint and  paper.

That is exactly what Andrew Vargas, junior, and James Romero-Carrillo, also known as Jaro, sophomore, do.

Vargas makes wonderful spray paint art that is centered around galaxies and oceans. And Romero-Carrillo draws comics or manga art style.

Vargas started his art journey in the summer of 2017 by “watching videos on YouTube and then eventually watching tutorials. “I then picked up an old can of spray paint and it started that way,” he said.

Vargas describes his art “as

another sort of art style that people use. It’s a lot more free and doesn’t take as much planning as other types of art,” he said.

To start this art, Vargas said he has a sketchbook to sketch his ideas and, once he has those down, he moves on to a blank canvas.

When first seeing Vargas’ art, it looks impossible to do since the colors are so perfectly blended and the overall result itself looks flawless. But to Vargas it’s not hard at all. In fact, he has the process down so well it’s amazing.

“After I plan out what I’m doing… I normally start by if I need a base layer… I’ll do that, but I start with the planets because I usually end up having to cover that with lids to stop them from getting paint on them, then I’ll just do the background,” said Vargas.

Vargas said he became interested because he would see people do it and he bought a painting at a fair a while ago. He hasn’t entered his art in anything so far but is interested in entering it in something soon.

James Romero-Carrillo said his art is an animation that originally started in Japan, and is a combination of “Akira Toryamia art style for the body and facial features based on Yusei Matsui art style.” Toryamia is most known for the Dragon Ball franchiseand Matsui is known for Assassination Classroom.

Romero-Carrillo said he started drawing when he was 3 years old. He started off drawing stick figures then his art improved when he was introduced to anime.

“It’s based on mood and stress. I usually draw more and  more focused on it when I’m a little stressed out. But I draw more efficiently when I’m care free,” said Romero-Carrillo.

Romero-Carrillo said he has never entered his art in any competitions but he is interested in doing so as well.

Andrew Vargas photographed with one of his pieces.