Kesha speaks out against abuse through new album

Morgan Holt, Manestream Editor

“Tick-tock on the clock.” It was only a matter of time before Kesha released her brand new album titled “Rainbow,” but this album is about a lot more than just parties and falling in love, unlike her previous albums. Singer-songwriter Kesha Rose Sebert, formally known as Ke$ha, says she has been through a lot more than the average American pop singer.

In 2005 at age 18, Kesha was signed to her first record label Kemosabe Records, owned by producer Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, professionally known as Dr. Luke.

In 2009, Kesha’s career as a songwriter and musician blew up and at one point her single “TiK ToK” was the best-selling digital song in history, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. “TiK ToK” sold more than 14 million copies worldwide.

In 2013, however Kesha spoke out about how her now former producer, Dr. Luke,  allegedly had been both physically and emotionally abusive towards her, and that there was employment discrimination against her.

The legal dispute between the two, which began in 2013, involved a series of lawsuits.

According to Rolling Stone, during the New York lawsuit, Kesha claimed Dr. Luke was guilty of sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, civil harassment, violation of New York’s unfair business laws, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress, and negligent retention and supervision.

SCREENSHOT BY SOPHIA CORONA
Kesha performing at the Ryman Auditorium in Stetson, Maine on Sept. 27.

Dr. Luke has denied all of the allegations. In legal documents filed in support of his defamation suit against Kesha, he claims that Kesha and her mother made “defamatory statements in an attempt to force Dr. Luke into releasing Kesha from her exclusive recording agreement.”

According to USA Today on Feb. 19, 2016, Kesha’s request to be released from her contract with Dr.Luke was denied.

According to The New York Times, Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Shirley Werner Kornreich noted that Kesha had “failed to plead that any of the alleged discrimination occurred in New York State or city,” and that the court had no jurisdiction over the claims.

On Feb. 24, 2016, Kesha created a Facebook post going into detail about how the alleged abuse she faced with Dr. Luke affected her and her feelings on losing the case.

“I think about young girls today.  I don’t want my future daughter or your daughter or any person to be afraid that they will be punished if they speak out about being abused, especially if their abuser is in a position of power,” said Kesha in the Facebook post.

“Unfortunately I don’t think that my case is giving people who have been abused confidence that they can speak out, and that’s a problem,” she continued.

“But I just want to say that if you have been abused, please don’t be afraid to speak out, “ she said on the post.

“There are places that will make you feel safe. There are people who will help you. I, for one, will stand beside you and behind you. I know now how this all feels and will forever fight for you the way perfect strangers have been fighting for me,” said Kesha.

Although Kesha lost the lawsuit, and she will be tied  to Dr. Luke for the next three albums, and on Aug. 11, Kesha released her album “Rainbow” with her hit single “Praying.”

The album, inspired by the alleged abuse she faced, included lyrics such as “Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell / I had to learn how to fight for myself,”  she sings in her it single “Praying.

“I know I’m always like / Telling everybody you don’t gotta be a victim / Life ain’t always fair, but hell is living in resentment / Choose redemption / Your happy ending’s up to you,” she sings in “Learn to Let Go.”

Kesha’s legal saga is far from over, as she will still have to fulfill her original contract with Dr. Luke.

Accoring to Rolling Stone, Kesha’s contract forbids her from recording and promoting any more music until she makes at least three more albums with Dr. Luke and Kemosabe Records, his Sony-owned label.

Sony has offered to honor Kesha’s contract by pairing her with other producers, but that music will still be released under Kemosabe Records. Any profits from those records will be shared by Dr.Luke and the label that has supported him throughout this ordeal.

Although Kesha is still tied with Dr.Luke, “Rainbow” has proven to be a powerful testament towards what she has faced and serves as a powerful form of inspiration and strength for her fans and listeners.