Thanks…I guess

Arizza Deriquito, Photography Editor

Nothing screams gratefulness better than devouring a whole turkey leg and watching huge balloons float over New York City on every fourth Thursday of November.

The annual celebration of Thanksgiving is inspired by the gathering of North America’s invaders and Native Americans before they were all killed or forced off of their homelands, of course.

The Plymouth colony had gathered with the people of the Wampanoag nation, spending three days to share plates of corn and deer-which seemed like the only thing the pilgrims were willing to give to the Native Americans.

The camaraderie between the Native Americans and the foreign Americans was somewhat damaged when more English colonists mercilessly extorted Native American lands and graciously spread the gift of chickenpox.

Today, its legacy lives on through kids brainwashed with the idea that turkeys look like hands and parents showing everyone on Facebook their matching table sets and cooking skills.

It’s almost like a contest for people to tag as many of their friends on social media posts, because who has the time to thank people in real life?

But Thanksgiving is not just about the materialistic aspects of life.

It gives a great opportunity for people to help those in need through food drives, stocking  homeless shelters with donations, at least until the holiday season ends and everyone forgets about the people who are unable to have dinner on every other day of the year.

Let’s not forget about the driving force of the holiday: the retail workers who are forced to deal with people fighting over the last turkey.

Places like Costco and Walmart turn into war zones, with cranberry sauce cans rolling down the aisles and people in their tents outside, preparing for a five-hour wait for their new flat screen TV.

Thanksgiving, despite its somewhat tainted history, is ultimately a time for everyone to be with their families and brace for the holiday season, with young children already planning what to ask from an old man in the Arctic, high school seniors rushing to finish college applications, parents thinking of how to get rid of leftovers, and grandparents comparing their grandchildren to one another.

It might not be the most wonderful time of the year, but at least there’s food.