Student defies one in one thousand odds

Connor Silva was one in one thousand.

Silva is a sophomore at Arlington with an outstanding academic background.

He takes rigorous courses and still manages play for club soccer and the junior varsity soccer team.

However, there is a  circumstance Connor has lived through that has defied the odds that were expected from medical professionals.

Wilms tumor is a type of cancer that grows in the kidney that is especially common in children.

Doctors found this tumor rapidly growing on Silva’s right kidney a little bit after he was born.

His parents were afraid and at a loss as to what to do, so they did what any other parent would do. With calm, they listened to the doctors and their suggestions.

They began making sure he was eating healthy, and made sure there was nothing risking his kidney’s health.

“The tumor was as big as a grapefruit. They were scared.” said Silva.

His life expectancy depended on whether or not he made it through the procedure where the doctors would surgically remove his tumor by resecting his right kidney when he was only 18 months old.

“It (his life expectancy) depended on the procedure. If it was successful or not- and if not, I would have died there on the table.” said Silva. “Only one in one thousand people survive the tumor.”

Despite living through this near death experience, it doesn’t get in the way of Silva doing what he enjoys the most.

He has been playing soccer since he was five years old, and has only been improving for the last ten years.

“If my left kidney is injured I’m done for and I have no third chance, but I just take the risk because I have been playing soccer since I was five” said Silva.

He is very passionate and has a strong connection with this sport.

He loves the feeling of excitement he gets when he makes a goal, and he makes sure nothing gets in the way of his love for soccer.