Students find a creative way to express themselves

Sophia Corona, News Editor

Self expression comes in many different forms. But a popular outlet for self expression nowadays is through video, more specifically YouTube.
All age groups participate in video expression, especially teens and young adults. In the past few years YouTube has become a huge empire even posing as a job for successful and popular YouTubers.
According to expandedrambling.com 91 percent of U.S. internet users aged 13-17 use YouTube, 81 percent of millennials, 58 percent of gen x, and 43 percent of baby boomers do as well. As of 2015, YouTube’s global net ad revenue was $4.28 billion.
Though one can earn a large income from YouTube if you are popular enough, not everyone is in it for the money, and it seems as though the YouTubers that express sincerity and love for sharing their life and interests gain more popularity.
There are many aspects to YouTube as there is a plethora of communities including beauty, gaming, vlogging, DIY, advice, animation, storytelling, pranks, etc.
YouTubers are spread throughout the world but some AHS students also participate in creating videos.
Some of these students include juniors Samantha Rodriguez, Evan Rodriguez, Noah Jackson, Renz Cabusao, Harrison Kay, and Ademola Alagbada.
The majority of them claim they started their channels in order to spread some sort of message or inspire people.
But Cabusao said he started videos because he found the process of making them fun.
“I started YouTube in an attempt to spread my philosophy and positivity to people across the world,” said Jackson.
Samantha Rodriguez said, “I started because I wanna share my opinions and experiences with other people and show them that their opinions are valid and deserve to be heard.
“I was a kid in 2009 and I wanted to share my knowledge of gaming because it was something I was very passionate about and it felt like it was my purpose at the time,” said Alagbada.
Kay had a similar objective as he said, “I started YouTube because I wanted to share my videos and inspire people to pursue their dreams and to focus on the career that they want to do.”
Evan Rodriguez had a different perspective, “I originally started making videos simply because I wanted to share my thoughts and ideas with people and there was no better way to reach a global audience than YouTube,” he said.
“However over time I’ve started to make videos just because in 20 years from now I want to be able to see what I was doing as a teenager with a camera, and I’ve stopped caring about how many people watch my videos or are subscribed to me. I make videos purely for myself now.”
Though they have similar objectives it does not mean that their channels contain the same content. Kay’s channel consists of drone videos of his adventures while Alagbada’s channel consists of gaming videos.
They are also not subjected to one type of video as Evan Rodriguez said, “I’ve created a decent variety of videos on my channel that range from vlogs, to collabs with some other YouTubers on campus, to simple Q&A videos. Just the other day I uploaded a vlog type video with clips I took from the Avid Junior Trip.”
“I make videos about pretty much whatever I feel like rambling about but I try to focus them on positivity and giving advice,” said Samantha Rodriguez.
On the other hand, Jackson’s channel, focuses around lifestyle and comedic videos.
“The type of content I make is based on 3D animations with VFX on superheroes such as The Flash,” said Cabusao.
No matter their differences they all find inspiration from YouTubers they look up to.
“I have been inspired by plenty of YouTubers such as Meghan Hughes, Connor Franta, Jack Baran, and Lexie Lombard because they continue to make content that stays true to themselves and they would not put out content that doesn’t make them happy. They love what they create, and that’s what makes me love them. However, I’d have to say that my friends and everyday occurrences in my life inspire me,” said Jackson.
Rodriguez’s current inspirations are Meghan Hughes, Lexie Lombard, Arden Rose, etc. because “…they promote positivity, discuss politics, and show their lives in a real light rather than only the best of their lives,” said Evan Rodriguez.
Samantha Rodriguez shares two of the same inspirations as Evan, including Meghan Hughes and Lexie Lombard because of how genuinely passionate they are about the content they release and the great messages they promote.
Kay’s inspiration is Casey Neistat because of his style of videography. “I also look up to him because of his fluent work flow that makes him successful,” said Kay.
“Mighty Raccoon inspired me to make animations because he makes animations as well,” said Cabusao.
Alagbada’s is Shane Dawson because of how humble he has remained after his success.
It’s also very important for them to love what they do in order to go far.
“I absolutely love YouTube. I want to make this my career. Although it does use lots of time and work, I am working on something that I love.
“If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life,” said Jackson.
Kay agreed saying, “I enjoy it a lot and I think YouTubing is its own kind of lifestyle.”
“Yes I enjoy it even though creating 3D animations take so long,” said Cabusao.
“I love making videos. It’s nice to be able to sit down and just talk to a camera for a while without worrying about judgement or anyone interrupting you. It’s definitely therapeutic to a certain degree,” said Rodriguez.
Samantha Rodriguez said, “I love making videos more than words can describe!! It never stops amazing me how people all over the world can connect through something as simple as social media.”

Junior Noah Jackson

Junior Evan Rodriguez

Junior Samantha Rodriguez